Fish ID

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Fish ID

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:59 pm

I went out in my yak yesterday around Bentley trying to catch a brim on fly again. Still no joy! lol :D But I did come across a section of the river where there were some sort of silver looking fish on the rise and jumping. I couldnt tell what they were, so I put on a team of 3 flies and kept constantly swapping them out for different ones but they wouldnt take a fly no matter what way I retrieved it. I even tried dry fly fishing casting onto the rises and the area which they were in. Noting even looked at the fly. I thought the dry fly was a bit of a waste of time in the end because I couldnt see anything hatching or flies on the surface even to try imitate, so I eventually figured out that I think they were feeding on small bait fish about 10-20mm in size. Its the only thing I could see in the water that they could be hitting. I tried everything but no joy. Then one rose in front of me and I lifted off to cast to it and as I did I got a hit but because I did very quickly I didnt hook up.

So what are these fish? And how do I catch them?

Starting to think Brim are going to be a first light type of fish also?

Cheers,

Dee :)

Andre Rossouw
Club Member

Re: Fish ID

Post by Andre Rossouw » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Sounds like mullet

Come and have a chat with me at the next club meeting. I will bring along the "mullet fly"

Hirdy
Club Member

Post by Hirdy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:32 pm

The bream are ignoring you Dee. Ya gotta spell their name right before they'll deign to take your fly ... ;)

But I think Andre has it: The Cursed Mullet! The bane of SW fly fishermen all over the globe. (For me, small flies stripped quickly will sometimes elicit a take.)

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:43 am

Andre Rossouw wrote:Sounds like mullet

Come and have a chat with me at the next club meeting. I will bring along the "mullet fly"
Ya, I was wondering, they were pretty high up in the river. I didnt expect to see them that far up. Looking forward to see this magic fly! lol :D
Graeme Hird wrote:The bream are ignoring you Dee. Ya gotta spell their name right before they'll deign to take your fly ... ;)

But I think Andre has it: The Cursed Mullet! The bane of SW fly fishermen all over the globe. (For me, small flies stripped quickly will sometimes elicit a take.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Ya, normally I spell it with a "fxxxing" before it! :lol: Ya I picked them up on decivers last year stripping through a shoal. Was a good session but very frustrating. I actually thought they were salmon and couoldnt believe why they wernt smashing my fly as I stripped it past them. Only figured it out when I hooked the first one what they actually were. Was a good day out flyfishing in the rain! lol :D

DNYE

Post by DNYE » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:39 am

The only mullet ive ever managed to hook was accidental whilst fishing for bream on a little yellow BMS fly, I think it was actually one that you tied and gave to me Andre! Must have the mullet touch mate :)

Rohan
Club Member

Post by Rohan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:24 am

Could have been Bony Herring ( Bonies ) , great mulloway bait, almost never caught other than in a net or jagging.

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I didnt get to chat to you on Tuesday, so can you throw up a pic of your secret weapon so I know what to get? :)

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I didnt get to chat to you on Tuesday, so can you throw up a pic of your secret weapon so I know what to get? :)