Out from Mindarie on Halloween

MichaelG

Out from Mindarie on Halloween

Post by MichaelG » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:38 pm

With the seas looking good on the weekend my regular fishing guide Rudi gave me the call up for a day out from mindarie with a 6:30am start.

6:30am I arrived at Rudi's and we packed the boat rigged the rods and headed to the marina, by 7:30 am we were at our first spot to drop in a cray pot then it was off to the back of 3 mile.

once anchored we started to burley up and hope for the best. after a while with nil results we decided to move and right on the call of last casts we had a school of yellow tail kingfish come up in the burley trail. now with both of us hooting and hollering we put some casts in, after a cast or two each with follows right to the boat we were now screaming at the fish to eat the fly.

Next cast in i stripped the line with a bit more force and a more sudden stop and i got the eat and strip striked the hell out that thing it was at that exact moment i realised the full weight of my previous decision to fish my 7wt instead of swapping to the 10 when they showed up. After a good little fight mostly under/ right next too the boat I landed my first ever Yellow tail king fish!!! on my little 7wt sage vantage and rovex genesis reel to boot. It went 63cms and into the esky

With the school still buzzing around and my heart thumping while trying to catch my breath i decided to throw a little cast 3 meters so i can strip some line onto the deck. As soon as the line hit the water BANG fish on again. this time im pretty sure Rudi wanted to curse me out for it as he couldnt get a hook set yet but he is too polite for that. this second fish went a bit harder and after anothe fun battle we kept it close too the boat since his mates were following him. after a few casts rudi got a hook into a much bigger model that tore off at a rate of knots to the nearest bit of reef and pinged him :(

We landed my second fish and he went 67cm no time for a photo on that one. a few more casts and another hour of burleying we decided to move as the fish had buggered off. with arms being a little tired the worlds best skipper even pulled the pick for me at three mile while i rested.

A decision was made to head to the gemini wreck and see what we could find after a long steam there we anchored off and burleyed up. after about an hour or so with only one hit we decided to call last casts, about three quarters of the way up with nearly a fully fly line on the deck Rudi came up tight set the hook and watched as all that line disappeared in seconds and straight into the backing, with a back braking fight and not wanting to be outdone Rudi landed this awesome Samson fish on his 10 weight.

We stuck it out for bit longer but had no further bites, i pulled the pick and we headed back to 3 mile. 2 casts in at 3 mile and Rudi spotted a bust up in the distance we pulled anchor and headed off in hot pursuit, on closer inspection it was small southern blue fin tuna. we tried as had as we could but unfortunately we couldnt get a hook in one. we decided to call it a day and head home with the boat of the trailer by 1pm.

Hirdy
Club Member

Re: Out from Mindarie on Halloween

Post by Hirdy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Top stuff guys! Well done.

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

eric franco
Club Member

Post by eric franco » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 am

Well done boys,sounds like a good day out. It's always nice when the fish come to play just when you are about to move on or pack up for the day!
<*)))>< <*)))><

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:38 am

Great report mate, Sounds like a ripper of a day. That skipper pulling the anchor for u what a legend not many would do that haha. Great stuff Mike at least someone is getting bent in the world ...

Gael Bataille

Post by Gael Bataille » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Congratulations to both of you on a good days fishing. Good to see that Rudi boated a sambo on fly and not getting broken off again, awesome

Dave Bailey
Club Member

Post by Dave Bailey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:38 pm

Nice work guys - some good fish there. 8-)

Rudi

Post by Rudi » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Thanks guys it was great to finally get a nice sambo even though still a juvenile. Michael’s kingie went well with a glass of Verdelho last night :)

Andre Rossouw
Club Member

Post by Andre Rossouw » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:32 am

Well done guys!!!

MichaelG

Post by MichaelG » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 am

Thanks guys, it was a barrel of fun

mat uchino
Club Member

Post by mat uchino » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:01 pm

With that kind of luck I'll bet you were even thinking the Wallabies might have been a chance come midnight!