March FOTM - The Sea Habit Deceiver

Andre Rossouw
Club Member

March FOTM - The Sea Habit Deceiver

Post by Andre Rossouw » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:00 pm

Hi guys

Continuing with the fly of the month, I'm selecting one of my favourite bait fish patterns.
The Sea Habit Deceiver will entice any bait fish eating predator and can be tied in a variety of sizes and colours.
With the WA Salmon season around the corner this fly has to occupy a few slots in your fly box.
Sea Habit fly.jpg
The larger version is a 7/0 Mustad Tarpon and the smaller version is a 2/0 Gamakatsu SL12S

Recipe-
Hook - size 1 to 6/0 Gamakatsu SL12S
Thread - 140 Denier Ultra Thread
Tail / Wing - Bucktail ; DNA Holo Fusion ; Sparkleflash / PolarFlash ; Crystal Flash
Head - EZ Body Tube / Mylar Tubing
Eyes - any type

The size of the eyes, body tube/mylar tubing depends on the size of the hook and the size of the bait fish being impersonated.
For example on a size 2/0 hook I will use EZ body tube size large and the eyes will be 5mm in size (smaller version in photo above).

For tying instructions have a look at Rupert Harvey's video on how to tie the Sea Habit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLJDF0HdVvM

Rupert is a great commercial fly tier and can be followed on Facebook as "Rupert Harvey's Ukflies" or Instagram as "ruperharvey_ukflies".
His YouTube channel is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjowqv ... Y9R3g/feed

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Re: March FOTM - The Sea Habit Deceiver

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:24 pm

Good stuff, may check out the YouTube channel!

Dee :)

Stephen Bradbury
Club Member

Re: March FOTM - The Sea Habit Deceiver

Post by Stephen Bradbury » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:07 pm

Nice Andre, no Salmon could resist a 'Sea Habit Deceiver' definitely worth having in the fly box ! good for Tailor, Trevally, Samson fish and Mackerel as well. I dare say with the addition of a ball sinker in the loop knot also good for metro pinkies ! :D