Rod choices / advice

MatthewPenfold

Rod choices / advice

Post by MatthewPenfold » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 pm

Hi Guys,
I’ve got two 9wt rods for boneheads this year, but based on last year’s experience in Exmouth, i’m In the market for an affordable 10wt. I’m looking at Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) rods or perhaps Redington. Open to other recommendations as well. TFO have the BVK and Axiom 2, both appear to be fast action rods. I’m looking for something with good backbone, but a more forgiving action. The BVK appears to be a good option, but backbone is questionable. Redington predator is also an option.
All opinions, experiences most welcome,
Cheers
Matthew

peter birch

Re: Rod choices / advice

Post by peter birch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:13 am

Matthew go see Rohan at Bluewater or dan at Flyworld, get a real feel for any rods they have In store.then decide or at the next meeting ask some people with a similar rod to bring and try.

Allan Hughes
Club Member

Post by Allan Hughes » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi Matthew,
I have a Redington Predator in 10# and it's a very nice rod to cast and fish with. Most of my rods are fast actioned, this is an exception and I enjoy casting it very much especially when shore fishing. It doesn't need to be over lined, a SA 10# F/I worked perfectly on this rod for me. Are you planning to shore fish or boat, or both? Let me know if you want a cast.
Allan

ash

Post by ash » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Hey Matthew,
The axiom 2 though I Havnt cast one personally, has some pretty average reviews... wich is a shame. The bvk series is great. Notably the backbone on the bvk's from 9 weight up is a lot tougher than the lower rod weights.

Also echo may be worth a look into, solid rods in a decent price bracket and depending on the stock at Flyworld you may be able to cast before you buy.

Second hand market on other fly fishing forums are also great for picking up a too range rod at a decent price....

mat uchino
Club Member

Post by mat uchino » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:48 pm

Saw an edge 10wt going for $450 elsewhere....

MatthewPenfold

Post by MatthewPenfold » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your input. My schedule is been tight recently and I haven’t had an opportunity to ‘feel’ a few rods. I have however decided to go for the Echo Ion XL which comes with very positive reviews and a good reputation. Also a very affordable option at $270 odd.

Thanks again for the assistance and holding thumbs that this rod is the ‘bees knees’,

Cheers

Matthew