My Epic 'Glass Rods

davestocker

Re: My Epic 'Glass Rods

Post by davestocker » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 pm

As one of the inventors of the Maniform grip, I’d like to say how delighted I am to see it matched up with Epic blanks, and to hear that it has helped the poster deal with carpal tunnel syndrome. Even though the design wasn’t a commercial success, I’ve long said that if the Maniform meant that a few flyfishers with hand/arm problems could lengthen their fishing careers I’d go to my grave a (reasonably) happy man.

My only comment on the rods is that my preference is to recess the upper part of the reel seat into the bottom of the grip. That said, I imagine that the Epic glass rods have a wider diameter than carbon equivalents, leaving much less room for manoeuvre.

Hirdy
Club Member

Post by Hirdy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Dave,

I love your work! :)

It's a shame these aren't a commercial success for you. I would have been surprised if they had taken off though, given the general reluctance in the fly fishing world to try something that doesn't "look like a fly rod should". We seem to be very traditional in some things, sometimes to the detriment of progress. (Most still use a bent piece of wire as a guide, because that's just what goes on a fly rod.)

I'll bet Reddington's Vapen Red (with the golf club grip) will not be a success for them either: it's not made of cork, for goodness sake! ;)

I didn't recess the grip for the reel seat for a few of reasons:
  • * These glass blanks are a fraction heavier than graphite of similar length and rod rating, so it helps me balance the rod more easily if the reel sits further from the tip. Not recessing helps there.
    * The grip at the butt end is quite narrow and the recess required would leave very little cork as a buffer against my poor workmanship. I was 90% sure I'd break through the cork if I tried to recess it for the reel seat. :oops:
    * After making my first one (on a rod not shown here) I found that I can get a little more comfort during long casting sessions if I hold the grip with my little and ring fingers on the reel-side of that bump under the rod (with my thumb pushing the hump on the top of the grip). Had I recessed the grip, that would not be possible because there would not be enough clearance between the reel and the grip
May you be a long time out of that grave, but you have my gratitude for inventing and marketing a grip that helps make my fishing more enjoyable. (And whats more, for selling it so cheaply! :mrgreen: )

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

davestocker

Post by davestocker » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Thank you for your kind words, Graeme.