GH Flies

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

GH Flies

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:32 pm

Just wondering what flies people are using to catch their Giant Herring on, and are you using a different type of fly in the Swan as opposed to in the sea? I cant seem to get the fly I was getting them on last year at the moment.

Cheers,

Dee :)

GDay
Club Member

Re: GH Flies

Post by GDay » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Olive over White - Steve Farrar's - Universal Fish Slayer

BrianHarwood
Club Member

Post by BrianHarwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

aaarrrrrrrh!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) the old olive over white.

Gav's new house is Olive roof / White rendered walls 8-) 8-) 8-)

A thing of beauty and class :P :P

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:28 pm

Well funny you should mention it but the last one I caught was on a green over white clouser! So not too far away! lol :)

Tony Ong
Club Member

Post by Tony Ong » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:42 pm

Hi Dee
GH flies are very much location specific. The ones that work well are SECRET. Pm me details of where you are seeing these fish, and I'll let you know which flies work best in that area. Of course, I'll have to test that the flies will work in that area. :D
In all seriousness, just about any baitfish profile fly will work. Just have to work out what mood they are in. Most times, they want the fly moving and moving fast. When they get moody, you'll need to waft the fly in front of them as long as possible to entice a bite. Match the size of bait around, and you should get some action. Being in the right place at the right time is the key.

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:59 am

Well, Ive fished from November till now solid looking for these fish. Got one take and one GH at 74cm. They dont seem to be around at all this year. I did see some in the Swan early November when I was in my yak around Point Walter area to the east but they wouldnt have been more than 50cm. Thats not to say that the bigger ones arnt in amongst them. Tried every fly known to man at them but just cant locate them consistently at the moment. Last years honey hole is empty this year! So just when I thought I had them cracked, now I am out learning about them all over again! lol :roll: