Towing Tyre Pressure

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Towing Tyre Pressure

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi Guy's,

just put on a set of Toyo Open Country AT2 all terrain tyres in a 265/75R16 size on the DMAX. Wondering what you do tyre pressure wise when you are towing the boat up to Exmouth? Tyrepower have put the pressure at 38psi for normal driving for front and rear tyres. Are you increasing the pressure on the rear tyres for the trip or just leave them at 38psi.

Cheers,

Dee :)

Dave Bailey
Club Member

Re: Towing Tyre Pressure

Post by Dave Bailey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am

Hi Dee.

I used to run my Desert Dueller all terrains at about 40psi around town, and then increase the rears to 45 for long towing trips. They were a light truck tyre.

Once in Exmouth I usually drop them to about 28 - 30, to help with beach launches, then pump them up again before the trip home.

Dave.

Liam Surridge
Club Member

Post by Liam Surridge » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Apparently a 4psi pressure increase from cold to hot pressure is optimum for tyres and this would depend on load or atmospheric temps and time of day as well as how loaded up your vehicle is and towball down weight too.

I think 40psi on light truck is good start - if tyres too hard you'll feel super uncomfortable on the road. My surf weighs about 2.2 tons and I run my LT all terrains around 36/38 psi unloaded. Also having airbags in rear is good for towing if you have a heavy towball downweight trailer and want to ensure car is level and not mucking with camber and tyre wear (and safety).

Hope that helps...

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks Guy's

I will probably stick them up to 40 and maybe 42 in the rear. Also heard the 4psi rule where the pressure increases by 4psi after an hour of driving so I dont want it too stiff. These tyres are good up to 50psi apparently.

Dee
:)

DNYE

Post by DNYE » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Mate,

If you know what your loads are there is an inflation table that you can use to work out exact inflation pressures.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/ap ... 170203.pdf

Few calculations to do but it'll give you exactly what you need for peace of mind straight from the manufacturer.

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:14 pm

DNYE wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:10 pm Hi Mate,

If you know what your loads are there is an inflation table that you can use to work out exact inflation pressures.

https://www.toyotires.com/media/2125/ap ... 170203.pdf

Few calculations to do but it'll give you exactly what you need for peace of mind straight from the manufacturer.
Thanks mate. I had a read through that link when I was trying to figure out all right. Hopefully all good for the trip ahead! :D