Toxic Algae

Post Reply
Adam Tombs
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Toxic Algae

Post by Adam Tombs » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:45 pm

Hi

Just hoping for some knowledge about the recent algal issue in the Swan? I have seen a few signs posted at different spots. as well as reading the fisheries warnings online. Is it safe to fish, but not eat fish? I'm thinking it would be ok?

User avatar
Hirdy
Club Member
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Re: Toxic Algae

Post by Hirdy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 am

Not being a doctor, I don't want to give you any specific advice.

I can tell you that I still fish there but won't eat anything.

Cheers,
Graeme
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

User avatar
Hirdy
Club Member
Posts: 643
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:40 pm

Re: Toxic Algae

Post by Hirdy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:06 am

The Department of Health has issued an updated health warning advising people not to eat fish, crabs or shellfish collected from within the Swan River, extending from Pelican Point to Como Jetty and upstream to Middle Swan Reserve. This area includes the commonly known areas of Matilda Bay, Como Jetty, Perth Waters, Elizabeth Quay, Barrack Street Jetty, Claisebrook Cove, Ascot Waters, Riverside Gardens, Garvey Park, Point Reserve and Woodbridge Riverside Park.
Ongoing monitoring of the Swan River now shows elevated levels of the potentially toxic microscopic algae ‘Alexandrium minutum’ extending from Pelican Point to Como Jetty and upstream to Middle Swan Reserve.

The Department of Health is advising that consuming toxins produced by the detected microscopic algae ‘Alexandrium minutum’ could produce a type of poisoning known as paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP).

These algae, which are not visible to the naked eye, can produce a toxin which could be absorbed by filter feeding shellfish and potentially consumed by crabs and finfish to a lesser extent. It is important to note that cooking will not destroy these toxins.

People who consume wild shellfish, crabs or fish collected from this affected Swan River area may experience symptoms including, tingling or numbness of the lips, prickliness of the fingertips and toes, nausea or vomiting, impaired balance, dizziness, slurred speech, double vision, weakness, difficulty in swallowing or breathing, loss of fluids and diarrhoea.

In severe cases PSP may cause muscular paralysis in people who consume affected shellfish, crabs or fish.

Anyone who has consumed shellfish, crabs or fish collected from the Swan River and experiences any of these symptoms should seek urgent medical attention, particularly if they feel any respiratory distress.

Farmed shellfish purchased in supermarkets and other commercial outlets in WA are not affected as there is a strict quality-assurance program to ensure they are safe for human consumption.

Other recreational activities including swimming, skiing and boating are not likely to be affected by this microalgae species, but as a general rule swimming should be avoided in areas of discoloured water.

More information can be found in this Department of Health media release https://ww2.health.wa.gov.au/…/Revised- ... and-fishin
IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

Adam Tombs
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Toxic Algae

Post by Adam Tombs » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Hirdy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:26 am
Not being a doctor, I don't want to give you any specific advice.

I can tell you that I still fish there but won't eat anything.

Cheers,
Graeme
Thanks Graeme,

I haven't eaten anything from out of the Swan since I was a kid, down for high school in Perth back in the day. Catch and release would be the go.

I have some time off over the school holidays so hoping to get down the river early a few times.

Post Reply