Wading boots

Matt Bailey
Club Member

Wading boots

Post by Matt Bailey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:00 am

Hi guys,

Looking to finally invest in some wading boots after the elastic in my last $15 kmart special reef socks has gone cactus.

I spend almost as much time exploring the south west river systems with plenty of hiking between spots as I do on the local saltwater flats and rivers.
Looking for durability and comfort without weighing a ton.

Torn between a saltwater specific flats boot (such as the Simms flats sneaker) or something a bit hardier that could be more supportive and durable for a weekend on foot in the bush (ie. G3 boot or similar).

Have heard the G3 boots don't stand up to the salt well at all, but if its just a case that they need a wash in freshwater after each use I would be doing so anyway.

Interested to hear what fellow flyrodders use and get your input and feedback!

Cheers :)

Matt

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Re: Wading boots

Post by Simon Gilbert » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Three of us that went to Christmas Island in 2015 bought Simms Vapour boots (and Simms neoprene socks/gravel guards). We were wading there for 2 weeks. A couple of years later in New Zealand for 2 weeks with lots of reasonably long walks usually wearing waders as well. Used them on and off in the salt since and many times around the streams in the Southwest probably walking through bush for a couple of hours a day. They have been very comfortable for walking - and this is from a guy that often has to wear bandaids to stop blisters (never with these boots). Boots still look like new (apart from the rubbish laces that gave up after Christmas Island) - but I do wash them down in fresh water every time I use them in the salt. I don't worry if in fresh water - only if they get muddy..

Not saying these are the thing to get (if you could still get them) and I think there are several more models that came out after these. Also quite expensive (at the time). Just thought I would give a 'review' of what I bought (and not regretted).

A few years before buying these I bought a quite expensive 'Zamberlan' hiking boots that really never got particularly wet (apart from a small amount of snow and rain hiking) and after probably only an accumulation of 6 weeks walking (and 10 years), the soles literally fell off (halfway up a reasonably easy but long New Zealand hike) - so expensive is not necessarily a recipe for longevity. But I usually say you get what you pay for - within reason.

One review I read about the Simms Vapor said "If you're an angler that spends as much time hiking to the streams they fish as they do wading through, or are in the market for a boot that can perform well as both a wading and wet-wading boot, the Simms Vapor Boot should unquestionably be in your crosshairs."

Good luck with the search...there must be dozens that would do a similar job. Probably can't go wrong with any of the better ones.

Matt Bailey
Club Member

Post by Matt Bailey » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:42 pm

Fantastic, thanks Simon. Exactly the feedback I am hoping for :)

I'm not set on any make or model in particular, but very much value local feedback over online reviews!

Tony Ong
Club Member

Post by Tony Ong » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:33 pm

I have a pair of G3's that are 10 years old. Used in both fresh and salt. Still going strong. I make sure I wash down after every use.
I also have a pair of flats sneakers wet wading. Flats sneaker are lighter than the G3's and probably better for hiking long distances. Flats sneaker has a pretty closed in sole pattern. May not be the best in shedding mud.
There is also the new Simms Feather weight boots. Built with freshwater situations in mind. These are good where you have a long hike in.
For what you want to do, I would consider either the feather weight boots, or the flats sneakers. G3 is a heavy boot.
Also need to consider if you are going to want to wear with waders down the track. If so, you need to go one size larger.
My best advise is to visit Flyworld. If Dan doesn't have sizes in stock, he will be able to get them in for you. He usually has stock of all 3 of those style of boots, so you can see them side by side.

Matt Bailey
Club Member

Post by Matt Bailey » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:49 am

Thanks Tony, I'll give the flyweights a look!

Will drop in to see Dan and take a look at them all in person.

Cheers for the feedback :)