Solar powered battery chargers

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Re: Solar powered battery chargers

Post by Simon Gilbert » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:18 pm

TM battery? Do I understand this refers to lithium ion batteries?? If they are big enough to run a 24v electric battery all day, they must be big (in available amp hours not size). They must be expensive!! Seem like they could be great...i have no experience with these as I dont have an elecric motor (unfortunately). 2 of these are probably worth more than the second hand price of my whole boat (hull)!!!

Martin Kuhn
Club Member

Post by Martin Kuhn » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:53 am

TM = trolling motor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proudly shopping at Mudhole and Planet Buff

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Post by Simon Gilbert » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:46 pm

Martin Kuhn wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:53 am TM = trolling motor
Ok...just there is at least one company selling lithium Ion batteries called TM Batteries LTD and many other manufacturers that have TM model batteries (that don't seem to be for trolling motors). So probably not a good abbreviation to use....

Actually after sending my last post I was browsing online and found a range of deep cycle lithium batteries that were heaps cheaper than I expected. $500 Australian from what I can remember - I can't find the website now. Provided the same usable amps than a larger AGM battery and about 50% of the weight. As far as I know (not much) you can get almost 100amp hours out of a 120 amp hour LI battery but only max of 60amp hours from a 120 amp hour AGM (less if normal lead acid) - if you want them to last. Weight per usable amp hours is about 30% of a AGM (not 30% less - 30% of the total weight). Could be a great alternative and they're getting cheaper all the time.

Found it...atomicnumber3.com/. Can see plenty of advertising blurb but not many actual specifications. Sound really good. I would be interested in hearing from people that have actually used then - as opposed to salesmen that review in order to sell or get advertising revenue. Not that I'm in the market for one.

Mike Andrew
Club Member

Post by Mike Andrew » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:52 pm

Be very careful with cheap lithium batteries.
There are a lot of dodgy people out there flogging them.
$ 500 for 100 amp hour lithium probably equals scam.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listin ... 0v-battery

Allan Hughes
Club Member

Post by Allan Hughes » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:21 pm

I think the lithium batteries will be the way we go in the future once the demand drives the necessary technology up and the prices down. I'd need to see a few credible and unbiased reviews before I go that way but once the BASSPRO scene adopts them it won't take long. I've heard some accounts already of where this is happening State-side so it's coming. No doubt the accompanying solar recharging technology will also eventually become the affordable norm but no time soon it seems.
I've decided to go with an on board electrical charging solution, tapping off the motor alternator circuit. I currently have two batteries connected to it and the TM batteries are isolated from this circuit. I'll fit a 2nd onboard 10A two bank charger in parallel with the existing 4 bank AC charger unit, and work out how to tap into the reserve amps from the motor. I'll keep you posted on how this goes, thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions to date.

peter birch

Post by peter birch » Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 pm

https://m.facebook.com/lithiumbatterysystems/
Do a singular battery of whatever V you want.looks interesting and a young bloke called Will Prowse on Instagram does all sort of reviews on any think 12v solar and lithium and goes to town pulling things apart.

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Post by Simon Gilbert » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:13 pm

peter birch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 pm https://m.facebook.com/lithiumbatterysystems/
Do a singular battery of whatever V you want.looks interesting and a young bloke called Will Prowse on Instagram does all sort of reviews on any think 12v solar and lithium and goes to town pulling things apart.
They do look good. I'd be interested in prices for interest sake - I'm not about to buy one yet. I'll wait until I need one in a couple of years time...should be much cheaper then.
Mike Andrew wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:52 pm Be very careful with cheap lithium batteries.
There are a lot of dodgy people out there flogging them.
$ 500 for 100 amp hour lithium probably equals scam.

https://www.productreview.com.au/listin ... 0v-battery
Yes agreed...the atomicnumber3 does look like a scam

Allan Hughes
Club Member

Post by Allan Hughes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:51 pm

peter birch wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:17 pm https://m.facebook.com/lithiumbatterysystems/
Good find Peter. Their FB and website pages all look like work in progress but if the end products are good then this is looking promising for the future.
I see they do a 24v battery - I can imagine having two of these on board instead of my two 12v ones for the same weight, meaning twice as useful potentially.
https://www.lithiumbatterysystems.com.a ... batteries/

Allan Hughes
Club Member

Post by Allan Hughes » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Martin Kuhn wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:04 pm The set up I have is that the outboard charges my start battery. Once that is topped up a relay then steers the power towards a 12 to 24 v step up transformer/charger (Stirling brand) that charges the TM batteries. That way the TM batts get some charge whilst moving between fishing locations. The setup works very well so far (touch wood)
Hi Martin,
Thanks for sharing what your set up is. Are you able to quantify the benefits you've managed to get from charging on the run....how much extra trolling time would you say you've squeezed out from doing this?
Just checking - do you have three batteries in total - ie: the Start battery plus the two 12v TM batteries?
If so, do you use your Start battery to power your other electronics ("House") like GPS, radio, Fish Finder, lights etc? Or like me do you have a separate House battery for this purpose, so leaving the Start battery just for engine starting like I do?
I have the relay switch - over you describe but it switches over to the House battery once the Start battery is fully charged and not to a 12-24v step up you have on your boat.

I am wondering if I can install the Mini Kota Alternator / two bank charger to a new dual really switch that would give me the option of either charging the House battery or the TM batteries once the Start battery is fully charged.

There must be a way to achieve this somehow..

Martin Kuhn
Club Member

Post by Martin Kuhn » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:16 pm

Hi Allan,
Feel free to call me to chat about the set up that came with the boat. There are some features with the set up that is easier described over the phone than via posts
Cheers
Martin
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proudly shopping at Mudhole and Planet Buff