West Aussie Salmon

Stephen Bradbury
Club Member

West Aussie Salmon

Post by Stephen Bradbury » Sun May 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Hey guys, thought I would just share some pics from a quick Salmon session I had while down south for a wedding over the last long weekend. As usual the Salmon were hard to find (be in the right location at the right time/day) with no big schools around like the week before (apparently!:-(). On the Sunday morning I covered many of the usual haunts, Canal rocks, Castle rock, Meelup all the way to Rocky point then around to Bunkers without seeing a fish or even anyone catching a fish. On the Monday I had a 2 hour window (8.30 - 10.30am) so I headed straight down to Bunkers walked all the way to the rocks at the Eastern end (past many hopeful lure & bait chuckers), found a fly fishable rock ledge with few other anglers around and set my gear up. After only about 30 minutes a small pod of Salmon (8 - 10) came past and I placed a 60 -70 ft cast out in front of them and they were on to it immediately, I hooked up and after some tense moments around the rocks landed my first Salmon for 2021. After that a few more pods came through, I busted one off and landed one more for a very satisfying fast Salmon session. :D 8-)
Attachments
A Sunday morning fog from the point at Bunkers
A Sunday morning fog from the point at Bunkers
A beautiful Monday morning at Bunkers, ready for a walk to the rocks.
A beautiful Monday morning at Bunkers, ready for a walk to the rocks.
My first Salmon of the season
My first Salmon of the season

Stephen Bradbury
Club Member

Re: West Aussie Salmon

Post by Stephen Bradbury » Sun May 02, 2021 8:50 pm

Some more pics
Attachments
The synthetic Deceiver herring pattern firmly in the corner
The synthetic Deceiver herring pattern firmly in the corner
Salmon number 2 hits the rocks
Salmon number 2 hits the rocks

Rubin

Post by Rubin » Sun May 02, 2021 10:24 pm

Well done Stephen,

Was there weekend before. Covered the whole stretch from Castle rock to Bunkers off the boat and didn't see any Salmon. Place was covered with school of baitfish, especially Bunkers. There seemed to be a resident pod of dolphin having a party there.

Apart from a small resident from the Woodmans rockwall, have yet to land a decen one on fly. Keen to go and have a look around Wanbro and Cockburn, hopefully soon.

Cheers...Rubin

Torren
Club Member

Post by Torren » Mon May 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Nice work Steve.

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Nice one, always great to get onto them landbased