Meeting Tuesday 2 August 2022

Tony Ong
Club Member

Meeting Tuesday 2 August 2022

Post by Tony Ong » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi all
This month's meeting, we have a guest speaker presenting a trip report.

Rowan Robinson is a music manager and keen fly fisherman based in Sydney. With a passion for fly fishing and travel, Rowan is in constant search of new waters, whether in the pristine mountain rivers of New Zealand or amongst the remote sandy cays of Exmouth gulf.
Rowan has had a unique career in the music industry over the past 20 years, working closely with some of Australia's most successful musical exports. He has built several successful music companies and festival brands, and has toured all over the world as an artist manager. Many times, he found himself being able to weave fly fishing into his work travels. This has allowed him to fish across the USA and Canada,and even in the forrests on the outskirts of Berlin, Germany whilst on tour. "Music has certainly played a part of my fly fishing career, but I would say most significantly that fly fishing has played an especially important role in my music career."
Rowan documents his adventures through his Instagram account @wildlightflyfishing

The Wessel Islands, NT, May 2022

I turned 40 in May this year and in the lead up, my fly fishing buddy, Simon Hall and I had a big task at hand...
How to better our epic New Zealand adventure that we undertook for his 40th Birthday three year prior. Two weeks of perfect weather, while exploring the South Island rivers and catching trophy brown trout was sure going to take some beating.

If your follow Aussie Fly Fisher on Instagram, then it's likely that you have heard of The Wessels Islands. Every photo posted is of trophy Blue Bastards, meter plus Queenies, and lots of Permit. By all reports, it was the saltwater fly fishing destination that dreams are made of.

So we needed to find out if the Wessels lived up to the hype. At the very least, it was going to be an amazing place to celebrate turning the big 4-0.

I look forward to taking you through my presentation of our trip to the Wessel Islands in May 2022.
IMG_5590.jpg

Time permiting, we will play part 2 of the Florida pilgrimage that a few of us made from a few years back.
Will be a cracking trip report. Hope to see you all there.