J knot

Tony Ong
Club Member

J knot

Post by Tony Ong » Tue May 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Attached is a video of the j knot that Peter Morse demonstrated at Boneheads. Useful knot for making your own leaders.

https://vimeo.com/197870505

Stephen Bradbury
Club Member

Re: J knot

Post by Stephen Bradbury » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm

After getting used to tying the J knot, I think I will be using it for sure to connect my tippet section in the future. I tied half a dozen of these knots then tied a triple surgeons in the mainline from each J knot (forming a loop) and then stress tested all of them until they broke and the triple surgeons broke first on every one. I know this is far from scientific testing and doesn't say much for my surgeons knot tying skills :lol: but hey, it certainly gives me confidence in the knot. :D
While on the subject of knots, I came across an alternative loop knot for attaching your fly to the tippet the other day. The knot was invented by famous Tarpon fishing guide Steve Huff and is consquently called the 'Steve Huff Double Figure 8 Knot' have a look at it online. It's certainly an alternative if your not happy or confident with your 'Lefty's Loop Knot' :)

Diarmuid O Laoghaire
Club Member

Post by Diarmuid O Laoghaire » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:00 pm

How do you find the Steve Huff Double Figure 8 knot over the Lefty's loop knot? Might try it out on the salmon whenever they turn up here.

Dee

Stephen Bradbury
Club Member

Post by Stephen Bradbury » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:27 pm

Can't say I've used it out on the water yet Dee, I just came across it online and I've got to try it out myself, maybe on some Aussie Salmon they'll certainly test it out ! :)