Boat conversion...

MattGoodall

Re: Boat conversion...

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 3:43 pm

well been a while between posts just a couple drinks have been had since than haha. All has been happening new Baby girl born a few days ago which is amazing. Surrounded by girls haha there is hope i think :) Anyways i have a lot of posts to catch up on since my last one so ill continue slowly for those that care haha.

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 3:50 pm

So on from that last post. The gunnels were ready to bend my 8ml ply along the wood i had attached to the top of fibreglass where i cut off the screen. 100ml wide and bent nicely to the front and finished off the front with a 12ml piece came up a treat and was solid already.
IMG_3375.jpg
Screws helped hold it in place.
IMG_3378.jpg
Next was on to glassing the gunnels and sealing on top and helping with strength along the vertical part. Which is always fun when the resin just drips off haha.
IMG_3408.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 3:58 pm

So got an old live bait tank off my uncles cray boat i used to work on. Wanted to cut it in half and make a console out of it. Super light and probably stronger than a ply wood one i would built.
IMG_3334.jpg
I flow coated the top of the gunnels and verticals to give a cleaner finish.
Cut the console and put it in to see how it would look. obviously there was a fair few cracks to seal up and sought out.
I cut the angle at the back for the steering wheel and glassed in a 18ml piece for the wheel nice and solid.
Sikaflexed this to the floor.
IMG_3439.jpg
Once that was set it was on to glassing it in place and throwing in a shelf.
IMG_3567.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:04 pm

Picture from the rear
IMG_3592.jpg
Onto the coat along top, not quite the blue i had in mind when it got mixed up in the machine but hey started to grow on me.
IMG_3611.jpg
Rookie mistake. it had been freezing when i was painting and waited 24hours went to put the next coat on and moved the paint underneath
and got orange peel wasn't happy. Finally with a heater and a sunny day it dryed sanded back again and repainted good enough haha.
IMG_3612.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:16 pm

IMG_3642.jpg
The transom must have been cut down from original to suit the smaller leg motor i had on before. Got a 50 force electric start and tilt and trim and had a longer leg. So had to cut some jarrah to suit bolt it and glassed it in. Had 70ml gap on the motor brack and the wood was 50ml with the glass. Wanted to braced for strength. So got some 6ml ali plates made up solid and perfect for what i needed not cheap though haha.
IMG_3660.jpg
First coats of grey on the console loving it.

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:20 pm

The rod holder at the back is just sikaflexed to the hull much easier than glassing and is solid will see how long it lasts haha. The cut out in the front support will have some rubber rod holders to hold the front well thats the theory.
IMG_3677.jpg
Next was coats on the hull and floor. All very grey haha
IMG_3718.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:23 pm

So can't find the photos of putting on the motor etc but thats a bit boring haha wasn't easy anyways :)
IMG_3667.jpg
So stoked all coming together finally.
IMG_3668.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Next was rigging and putting the controls and steering wheel in. Always sounds easier than it is haha. Doing these things by urself at night
when people are asleep is good besides some help would be good haha. ah well
IMG_3725.jpg
Starting to look what i imagined.
IMG_3741.jpg

MattGoodall

Post by MattGoodall » Fri May 27, 2016 4:43 pm

So took it for a run 2 weeks ago first test run. Was the worst day of the week on sunday 30 knot winds. But went well. A bit more weight back but the steering wheel is at least a metre back from before so all our weight is back further but planes fine with someone sitting infant of the console and one driving. Also planes fine on my own. I may move the battery to under the console but all good for now.

Through the winter i am going to build a small front anchor well that u can stand on as well which will help.

So last week had a rare windless morning before a big cold front came in. ?Knowing our new baby was only 3 days ago would have been the first and last for a little while haha.

So snuck out for a run with a good mate and found some salmon. So fun to get some fish in the boat on the first fishing trip was just insane.
IMG_3758.jpg
Having the lay out is so good. fishing while driving and one fishing in front love it.
IMG_3761.jpg
Bent rods on the first trip what more do u want :)

So still a few things to do cutting down the bow rail to make it lower and will reattach. Need to look into flooring or need some new carpet or foam, few grab handles and things.
Will figure out if i want perspex on the console or not i like it without but may be good for protection for the sounder.
IMG_3275.jpg
So will take more pics when i get out more and as more things are added. But right now I'm stoked with a new precious family member and stoked to have the boat all done. What a mission but so rewarding on the first run out the channel WOW.

Rudi

Post by Rudi » Sun May 29, 2016 8:35 pm

Well done mate. Looks great!