5wt Rod Recommendations

Mark S
Club Member

5wt Rod Recommendations

Post by Mark S » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:05 pm

I am looking for a new 5wt rod and thinking of going top end price range as it is my most used rod. Will be used for mainly bream/ estuary but also trout from time to time.
Any recommendations/ preferences in this weight? I was thinking Sage X but do like Scott and they have the new centric, not sure if anyone has seen these yet?
Doesn't seem to be too many saltwater specific in 5wt but I don't see it as an issue if looked after.
I know 6wt has saltwater options but would mean buying new lines and I am happy with the 5.
Open to any other suggestions out there and happy to look at in all price ranges.

Appreciate any advice in helping make my decision.

Thanks,
Mark

Tony Ong
Club Member

Re: 5wt Rod Recommendations

Post by Tony Ong » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi Mark. The x 5 weight is a mighty fine rod. Also worth looking at the Sage Trout TT. The problem is getting hands on one of these rods. Stocks are hard to get at the moment. I haven't cast the centric, so can't comment on them.
I have a Trout TT 4 wt that I'll bring along to the casting day.

Mark S
Club Member

Post by Mark S » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks Tony. I am planning on heading to the casting day so if you do bring it down I would be interested in having a try.

Adam

Post by Adam » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:16 am

I like my NRX 5wt in the salt and fresh. Mind you I also enjoy using a custom built 5wt CTS Quartz blank too and a wildfish too. The saltwater components on the NRX and Quartz with their fighting butts push make them very useable.

Adam