Salmon 2017

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Salmon 2017

Post by Simon Gilbert » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 am

I thought perhaps we should have a general Salmon thread for the year (and then one next year).

Even during weekdays (but unfortunately school holidays), there are mobs of boats out there. I counted 53 around Mewstone reefs last Wednesday. Too many for me until later when most of them went home for lunch. Went back when there was less than a dozen to find a couple of schools away from the reefs. Looking forward to schools/teachers/parents going back!

Not a fish shot...but Roger rarely smiles. This is the closest I got.

Rog with a fish

Brett Poole (one of the pioneers of fly fishing in the state) with a very old Hardy reel (more than 30 years). Rim control only. A fun way to fish for Salmon of this size.

MattGoodall

Re: Salmon 2017

Post by MattGoodall » Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Great work on the fish, 53 boats that is a bit hectic. I think its crowded down here if i see another boat within a few miles :D

Had a day off last week and couldn't find anyone to come on a thursday, weather was too good to pass up so on with the inflatable PFD
and soloed it.

Paid off found the fish and enjoy a couple hours of coming tight on fish. Was interesting casting close to the rocks, hooking fish, driving away from fish, fighting fish, and then trying land fish by yourself... Great day never gets old pulling tight to Salmon, good run in the boat to fished for a couple hours then ran home by lunch, can't complain. Hoping for a bluefin next trip

mat uchino
Club Member

Post by mat uchino » Wed May 17, 2017 3:41 pm

Salmon are in front of Perth again. Small work up but plenty of Big splashes and birds.

So frustrating.....

Rubin

Post by Rubin » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

Thought the recent blow might have brought the school back in. Took boat out to check out usual spots in the Sound yesterday; covered a fair bit of ground. Apart from a lone straggler on troll, school's nowhere to be seen. Keen to score one on the new 10wt I've just got. Wondering if I might have to drive to Dunsborough for them now. Wondering if the metro season just about over then. Any thoughts?

Rubin

peter birch

Post by peter birch » Tue May 23, 2017 4:34 pm

Rubin probalay pushed out wide and deep,give rotto a try.
Or best bet was as you say dunsborough.

Tony Ong
Club Member

Post by Tony Ong » Tue May 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Pretty hard to see fish the last couple of days with all that cloud cover. I would be waiting for the next cloudless day before heading out to look for Salmon. There were schools of Salmon around till late November the last two years. Can't see this year being any different. Just need to be patient and wait for more favourable weather conditions.
There has been reports of fish within sight of the city last week. Pack the rod in the car and go for a drive. Look for birds and busting up fish.

Simon Gilbert
Club Member

Post by Simon Gilbert » Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 pm

I went to West End and down the south side Friday before last. Very calm and clear but didn't see a salmon. Heaps of herring and mobs of dolphins - which I would normally associate with Salmon. Still caught a few at Mewstone later in the day.

Went out to Mewstone last Wednesday afternoon after the previous small blow and did see a school but they were very hard to get enthusiastically to bite and disappeared on us after a while. Did catch a reasonable tailor and Terry got bitten off by a REALLY good one from the middle of the salmon school.

Might try again Thursday....or perhaps some pinkies..